Sunday, January 29, 2012

Untitled

Chinese New Year was this past Monday.  As promised, a photo of my puttanesca:

I used the recipe for Kale Puttanesca from allrecipes.com. The only changes to the recipe is that I used regular spaghetti, instead of "whole wheat angel hair", and I used frozen chopped collard greens instead of fresh kale, having used my kale for a recipe earlier. I cooked the frozen collard greens per the package directions (boil for 30 minutes) before adding them to the recipe. I also left out the capers, per my husband's advice, and I actually took the small jar of capers I had bought for the recipe back to the store and returned it. 

I was happy because this recipe was actually correct in serving size. It says it serves 4, and it did, indeed, provide me with 4 servings. So many recipes provide more servings than the stated number of servings, that it's nice to find a recipe writer that is accurate. 

I found the fish taste to be a little odd in a tomato sauce. But I'm not a huge fan of seafood anyway, so that doesn't mean anything. It was still a good recipe--I enjoyed eating it--but it wasn't something I could see myself eating on a regular basis. I will keep in consideration for New Year's next year.

I close with two photos. One was taken last Sunday afternoon, the other one, this afternoon.
A pair of small snow people

And the snow now melted

Kale Puttanesca

Ingredients

1/2 (16 ounce) package whole-wheat angel hair pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon drained capers
1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets, drained and quartered
1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups coarsely chopped kale
1 (4 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste

Directions

1.     Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and begun to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in capers, anchovy fillets, and diced tomatoes, and bring to a simmer. Stir in kale, and simmer over medium-low heat until wilted and tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Once the pasta has cooked and been drained, stir into the puttanesca along with the black olives. Toss and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment