For some reason, I was craving carrot cake. Since I also had a month old apple which was solid, but has started to shrivel, I decided to use it, too.
I did not use the frosting. Instead, I mixed 2/3 cups of diced walnuts mixed with about 1/6 cup white sugar and 1/6 cup brown sugar. I sprinkled it on top of the cake about half-way through the bake time.
I also don't know if it was because I took the cake out of the oven half-way through, or because I used more carrot than the recipe called for (I grated three carrots--two carrots was less than the 1.5 cups called for in the recipe, but 3 carrots was closer to 2 cups) but the cake took closer to 45-50 minutes to finish baking.
I also used a 9-inch round springform pan instead of a 9-inch square pan. I substituted half the all-purpose flour with Gold Medal whole wheat white flour. I used 1/2 cup of butter and 1/8 cup sunflower oil instead of 1/2 cup canola oil.
I am very happy with it. The cake is dense, and not very sweet, which I like. Makes it more appropriate for breakfast (which is what I'm planning!)
Grandma's Apple Carrot Cake
From Taste of Home http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Grandma-s-Apple-Carrot-Cake
Ingredients
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
1 cup shredded peeled apple
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, oil and sugars until smooth. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to egg mixture just until combined. Stir in carrots and apple.
- Spoon into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts
1 serving (1 piece) equals 392 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Originally published as Grandma's Apple Carrot Cake in Country Woman November/December 2004, p31
No comments:
Post a Comment