Sunday, January 9, 2011

Dust anxiety

One thing that drives me a little nuts about my husband's apartment in Metro is how dusty it is.  There is a visible layer of dust on everything.  This makes me uncomfortable, as I believe in weekly vacuumings and regular dustings in my own apartment.  When I moved to University Town, my major purchases were a desk, a desk chair, and a vacuum cleaner.  I'm not allowed to clean my husbands apartment.  He claims it makes him anxious, with me darting around the place while he's trying to relax.  However, this makes ME anxious, as I'm having to tamp down on my natural inclination to clean.  I get moments of despair as I try to reconcile these two facts, as there is no middle ground, but then I remind myself that 1) I am on vacation and 2) it'll be years yet before I'll live with him on a regular basis, so why worry now?

On that note, this commercial for the LG Kompressor vacuum captures the feeling of "dust anxiety" quite well.  I found it linked on Gizmodo, and they described it as a cross between Toy Story and Inception (I haven't watched either movie, so I can't comment)

2 comments:

  1. Okay that was a really cool commercial.

    My home is dusty as well. Sadly I just can't even seem to get motivated, save once or so a year, to actually clean it away with any significance. I hated cleaning chores as a child and that translated to adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not like cleaning chores as a child, either. The only thing I would willingly clean was my room. Since my mother kept a clean house--she would disinfect the kitchen every night before going to bed--I'm thinking that 1) I grew accustomed to a certain (high) cleanliness level and 2) I now consider my entire my apartment to be "my room."

    ReplyDelete