Saturday, February 26, 2011

My coats

Here is another have another reader request. In an earlier post, I had shown off my glove collection.  Here now, are the coats that those gloves accessorize.

1. The workhorse: the coat I wear for 80% of the winter, typically for temps around the 40's to high 20's.  In a sensible black color. Paired with a cashmere scarf.


2. The "Michelin Man" coat, a full length down puffer. I estimate I wear this about a dozen times a year, for temps lower than the low 20's. I feel silly wearing it sometimes, but I tell myself that I should feel happy--it's a sleeping bag, and wearing it is like going to school without getting out bed. Paired with a cream acrylic scarf.

3.  The pea-colored peacoat. It's not a color for everyone, but I love it. It's reserved for dressier occasions. I do not wear it often, and have yet to wear it this winter. This is the oldest coat in my collection, which I bought for my first job, so I could wear it to the office. (The previous two coats were purchased after I moved to University Town). The scarf is mohair and wool, purchased in Ireland by my parents, specifically to pair with this coat.

4.  Blue softshell by Marmot. Technical outer shell that's stretchy, wind and water-resistant, yet breathable, with a warm polyester fleece lining. Good for rainy days, temps mid-30's and above.  I feel sporty when I wear it.


5.  Maroon quilted coat. Worn in fall/early winter, when temps are around the 40's or 50's.  

6. Pink quilted coat. Worn towards the end of winter/early spring--temps 40's and above. Another coat brought with me from the South. Pet peeve about this coat--no pockets. I have to hold my gloves, or put them in my purse.

 7.  Lime Polartec fleece. I don't wear it much, especially now that I have the blue Marmot (3). It is windy here, and the fleece does nothing against the wind. Also, when my backpack rubs against the back of the coat, the coat pills terribly.  It's a bit of a shame, really, as it is quite warm.


8. & 9.  Blue denim jacket, and beige corduroy jacket.  Also brought with me from the South. 


10.  Not pictured: baby pink single breasted trench coat. It is in desperate need of ironing, and I didn't feel like doing ironing. It's actually a terrible trenchcoat, as it's not water repellent. It was just plain cotton twill. As a pretty pastel spring coat, though, it's just fine.  

The sad thing is, I am waiting for delivery of coat number 11:  


I recognize it as an emotional purchase--I am tired of wearing the same black boxy coat (1) everywhere all winter, and I need a change!  I felt guilty as soon as I bought it. I'm justifying the purchase to myself by saying that it was originally a $200 coat, but with the clearance price, and a coupon, I got it for $50, and free shipping. And really, I've been wearing my black coat since November, shouldn't I have an alternate coat, too?  The fault with that thinking is, now that I am getting tired of wearing my black coat, the snow is starting to melt, and I'll be changing to my blue softshell and pink quilt.

I also have two coats back in Metro, a simple zip-front black leather jacket, and a black faux shearling button front jacket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment