Monday, December 6, 2010

A week before finals

My flight back to University Town was uneventful.  Everything was on time, and I even slept.  As I drove the 60 miles or so back from the airport into town, I noticed that there seemed to be lots of trucks parked by the side of the highway.  Was it the first day of hunting season?   Yes, yes it was.

I was also surprised at how nice the weather was.  That night, I checked the temperatures: 58 degrees in University Town, and 39 degrees in Metro.

This past week has been pretty much a daze.  I didn't feel like I head on straight until Wednesday.  It was pathetic.  I have gotten back in the groove of things, but I leave town again this Friday, for 3 weeks!  For Christmas break!  It felt like I just got back, and I have done nothing.  I feel like now, I'm prepping for my time away, figuring out how to get remote access to the University computer system, making sure all my files are in order.  I wish there were more time before break.

But!  I am definitely looking forward to the break.  A couple of years ago, I stayed in University Town.  It wasn't bad--my in-laws mailed my Christmas presents to me, and I even got a little cardboard fold-out Christmas tree in a box with fold out ornaments, which was so fun!

It did snow a little.  A pathetic little amount that melted once it touched the sidewalks.  I'm not complaining.  It's just that I'm more used to a storm bringing in 6 inches of snow at a time.  It's also been above freezing most days, high 30's, enough to melt the snow while keeping it feeling like winter.



And finally, since we're coming off of Thanksgiving, I wanted to say that I am super duper thankful for my in-laws in general, my mother-in-law in particular.  I've never taken the whole MIL/DIL rivalry cliche seriously.  My MIL and I get along famously.  We go shopping and visit salons together.  We've taken an art class together, and I always enjoy meeting her for lunch, when time allows.  She is a teacher, and she had the entire week of Thanksgiving off, same as I, so I spent more time with her than she did with her son.  I loved it.  I sometimes forget that the reason it's a cliche is because that there is a grain if truth in it.  Overhearing other people's fresh from Thanksgiving in-law stories, I was really very grateful that I truly like and get along with my in-laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment