Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ups and Downs

Since my last post, I've left University Town and landed back in Metro.  I've been in Metro about a week now, and it's been a good week.

The night before I left University Town, I prepped the apartment--unplugged appliances, threw out most of the food in the fridge, took out the trash, cleaned the house.  My plants are in self-watering pots, so I filled those to the max, and then covered the tops of the plants with plastic cling wrap, in hopes that this will help retard the evaporation of water from the leaves, and so, I will not come back to wilted plants when I return.  The last thing was to vacuum--this was just before 10pm.  I turned on the vacuum and noticed that the brush did not spin.  I did my best vacuuming using just the hose attachment.  I went over my entire apartment, but it didn't do much good, judging from the lack of dust in the dust cup.  I finally disassembled the brush assembly to find that the belt was broken.  I will need to order a new belt before returning to State College.

The flight to Metro was pleasant.  My flights were on time and the weather was calm.  I arrived in Metro about a half hour earlier than scheduled.

I was able to attend my husband's office Christmas party.  It was the first time in several years I'd been able to do so, as I'm normally am not in town.  It was nice and low key.  I got dressed up and wore my new Tahitian pearl enhancer.  The table settings were sparkling, and the food was good.

 

After the meal they set up part of the hotel ballroom we were using with casino games.  It was a little sad in that the company paid for a karaoke DJ, but the hotel forgot to give him space for his equipment.  They allowed him to set up in the back of the hotel bar area, behind a low wall.  I'm not sure the hotel bar patrons could even see him, and he was outside of the ballroom where everyone else was, so he wasn't getting traffic from our group, either.

There was a birthday for me, with delicious chocolate birthday cake, and a trip to a Korean BBQ restaurant.  My husband and I had been there once before, and had gotten poor service--we were served our food and then ignored--but this time things went well.  We had two servers.  Both were attentive and got us new plates as soon as we finished BBQing the contents of the old one.  Dessert was going next door and getting a bubble tea.

Our table with food ready for grilling

Beef slices on the grill

There was also a trip to the zoo.  It was colder, in the 40's, so many of the animals weren't out.  It wasn't that bad for us humans in the places were it was sunny.  It was actually quite comfortable in those parts that got sun, I thought.  And I had my coat and earmuffs, so the shade wasn't too bad for me, either.  I liked being able to walk through the zoo without a large crowd, and we did spend the entire afternoon there, from about an hour after it opened until about half and hour before the zoo closed.

As for the in-between parts of the week, I spent most days of the week at my in-laws house during the day, where I had their dining room table with plenty of room for doing some studying.  In the late afternoon, around 4:30  or so, I'd head back to the apartment in my in-law's car (they've allowed me to borrow one of their cars during break).

No comments:

Post a Comment